Dear Senators and Representatives:
I am calling on someone to have enough backbone to remember the Equal Protection clause of the Constitution and introduce the following constitutional amendments, as well as any subsequent required repeal of existing laws, to accomplish the following:
- Term Limits: 12 years only, one of the possible options below.
- Two Six year Senate terms
- Six Two year House terms
- One Six year Senate term and three Two Year House terms
- No Tenure pay/ No Pension pay: A congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office.
- Congress (past, present & future) will participate in Social Security:
- All funds in the Congressional retirement fund will move to the Social Security system immediately.
- All future funds will flow into the Social Security System, and Congress participates with the American people.
- Congress is allowed to purchase their own IRA retirement plan
- Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI (consumer price index) or 3%. Considering that this is more than what most Americans are getting now, please consider this as a gesture to honor your service to us.
- Congress must equally abide by all laws & reforms they impose on the American people. Any violation is grounds for immediate expulsion and/or recall from the state they represent.
- If Healthcare reform passes, Congress shall participate in such plan as imposed on the American people, and lose the current plan in which they participate.
- All contracts with past and present legislators are void effective 1/1/2011. Since the American people did not sign off on any contract, and these contracts were merely approved by the legislators themselves, they are to be considered unenforceable due to having no co-signor date.
Serving in the Senate and Congress is a honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers had envisioned you as citizen legislators only. You need to serve your term(s), and then go back home and get back to work. This is the only way you can truly remain connected to the people you serve and ever aware of the consequences of the laws you enact.
It is time for the fox to stop guarding the henhouse. The American people have run out of hens.